JACKSON, Tenn. (February 15, 2021) – Leaders Education Foundation, a non-profit 501c(3) started by Leaders Credit Union, is pleased to award $15,000 to graduating high school seniors. Through the generosity of its sponsors and members, the amount of scholarships to be awarded have increased by 50% from last year. The Leaders Education Foundation Scholarship Program will award thirteen (13) scholarships of various amounts and requirements to high school seniors attending a college or university. It also includes scholarships for students enrolling in a technical or vocational program through schools/colleges like TCAT (Tennessee College of Applied Technology).
“We are pleased and proud to champion area students pursuing either the collegiate or vocational path,” Leigh Anne Bentley, President of Leaders Education Foundation, said. “We believe in supporting lifelong education, and providing resources for those who seek knowledge is a vital part of our mission.”
Scholarship applicants must be graduating high school seniors in West Tenn. and the high school senior, a parent and/or a grandparent must be a member of Leaders Education Foundation or a member in good standing of Leaders Credit Union. Applicants must be accepted or enrolled into a four-year bachelor’s degree program at a college or university in the United States or a trade, vocational or technical program within the state of Tennessee. For more information about Leaders Education Foundation membership, please visit leadersgives.org. Leaders Education Foundation and Leaders Credit Union directors, officers, and employees are not eligible for this Program.
In addition to the scholarships provided last year, Leaders Education Foundation has added three (3) scholarships in honor of sustaining charter sponsors, (3) three scholarships with a trade/vocational school focus, and (1) one new community scholarship designated to Dyer County. All scholarships awarded are given on a one-time basis.
- Financial Wellness Video Scholarship (1) – $2,500: This scholarship is for students who provide a video submission providing tips or suggestions on “How to be Financially Fit.” Students must submit a video link through YouTube with their application. Submissions will be posted on Leaders Education Foundation’s Facebook page (@leadersgives) and the number of likes and shares gained by each submission will be a factor in selecting the winner.
- Leaders Credit Union- Martha Britt Scholarship (1) - $1,000: As a Founding Corporate Charter Sponsor of Leaders Education Foundation, a scholarship is awarded in honor of Leaders Credit Union which requested the scholarship also be awarded in honor and memory of Martha Britt, a west TN champion for education and educator in the Jackson-Madison County School System for over 30 years.
- Town & Country REALTORS® Scholarship (1) - $1,000: As a Sustaining Corporate Charter Sponsor of Leaders Education Foundation, a scholarship to a deserving student in West Tennessee is awarded in honor of Town & Country REALTORS®.
- Ellis Insurance Agency Scholarship (1) - $1,000: As a Sustaining Corporate Charter Sponsor of Leaders Education Foundation, a scholarship to a deserving student in West Tennessee is awarded in honor of Ellis Insurance Agency.
- Founders Scholarship (1) - $1,500: This scholarship honors Leaders Credit Union’s founding membership group, Jackson-Madison County Schools. This scholarship is designated for high school seniors graduating from a high school within the Jackson-Madison County School System.
- Community Scholarships (5) - $1,000 each: Scholarships are designated for one student from each community: (1) Obion County, TN; (1) Gibson County, TN; (1) Dyer County, TN; (1) Shelby County, TN; and (1) all other counties in West Tennessee including Madison County, TN.
- Workforce Development Scholarships (3) - $1,000 each: The three scholarships are designated for students accepted or enrolled into a technical or vocational program through schools/colleges like TCAT (Tennessee College of Applied Technology).
The scholarship money received may be used at the applicant’s discretion to help cover costs associated with education, including tuition, books, fees, and various living costs. Applications must be submitted no later than March 26, 2021. The application may be completed by visiting leadersgives.org/scholarships.
“The scholarship program provides indispensable opportunities to students, affecting the trajectory of their entire future,” Eddie Hays, Leaders Education Foundation Board Chair, said. “We are honored to be a small part of these students’ academic journeys toward success.”
Scholarship details and application information can be found at leadersgives.org.